Engineered Reclaimed Wide Planks
Nowadays 50-60% of new builds have concrete sub-floors. However, one cannot nail solid boards to a concrete base! We produce floors that are fully engineered which allow one to lay wide and long boards either as a floating floor or by gluing directly to the screed/concrete. Very few companies engineer boards from reclaimed timbers, but we can produce any of our floors engineered in this way.
Our in-house engineering and kiln-drying capacity allows us to make and guarantee fully engineered floors from any of our raw stock material. These engineered boards can be laid over under-floor heating systems or floated over any concrete sub-floors. Our secondary kiln-drying process ensures boards are fit for use with any underfloor-heating system.
Our signature product is our wide, reclaimed oak boards. These beautiful long boards (average of 3m) are up to 280 mm wide. They make a striking, evidently reclaimed, finished floor. These boards come in random widths, but are also available with a variety of surface textures - see our section on hand-sanded textures or you can take them "In the White" to be sanded and finished on site. Please just ask us.
We provide a free sample ervice. Send us an image of what you want to replicate. We will see what is possible from our stockholding, prepare and apply treatments or washes as required and post them within 2 days, free of charge.
Please quote the image reference code when making an enquiry. The reference code can be found by hovering over, or clicking on the image.
Our current stockholdings of Wide and Long boards:
- Antique or Reclaimed Oak: 110 to 280 mm wide
- Douglas Fir - Slow-Grown: 120 to 320 mm wide
- Antique or Reclaimed Elm: 150 to 250 mm wide
- Jarrah: 90 to 160 mm wide
- Pitch Pine - Quarter Sawn or Flat Sawn: 100 to 260 mm wide
- Burmese Teak: 85 to 220 mm wide
- Mahogany: 100mm to 235 mm wide
- Baltic Yellow Pine - Slow Growth: 170mm to 240 mm wide
- Iroko: 90 to 160 mm wide
Engineering Specification and Process:
- All boards fully de-nailed, while protecting the original face and selected for quality
Kiln-dried on site to set moisture content:
- For normal, centrally heated conditions, 9-11% for hardwood, 10-12% for softwood
- For timber that will be laid over under-floor heating, we perform a secondary kilning to bring the moisture content to 6-8% for hardwood and 8-10% for softwood
- Written guarantee provided to cover the kiln-drying
- All boards regularised exactly to one chosen width (the widest possible based on selection)
- All boards are precision cross-cut on both ends.
- Sanded to required texture - see our hand-made textures
- Precision-planed on back face to provide a 6-10mm solid wear surface
- Engineered onto top-quality birch plywood: BB/BB or BB/CP grade, 11 strand x 15mm
- Vacuum pressed with minimum of 30 mins cooling time
- Every board hand-checked to ensure no de-lamination
- Surface filled and repaired as required. Long top edges hand-rolled to 1.5mm radius
- Grooved on long edges only; loose tongues supplied in 1-2m lengths
- Available unfinished, French-Polished, semi- or fully-finished to specification